In Kenner, La, 5-year-old Cloe Woods proved that kids really do listen when being taught safety from stranger danger and dangers within the home. When the stove in her home caught fire setting off the smoke alarm early Wednesday morning, Cloe remembered what she learned from a recent class trip to her local fire department and sprang into action.

Cloe’s mom, Shone Arceneaux, said the 5-year-old jumped out of bed and ran to her blind grandmother’s room.

“She told my mom to hold her shoulder and that they had to get out of the house,” Arceneaux said.

Once she was out of the house, Cloe made sure her grandmother and dog were ok before running door to door looking for one thing.

“I wanted water, to pour it,” Chloe said.

When Arceneaux returned from bringing her older children to their carpool stop nearby, Cloe brought her the news.

“She was running and telling the neighbors to call 911, and I said what’s going on. She said the house is on fire, so I jump out of the car and said what?,” Arceneaux told WWLTV.Com.

Kenner Fire Department Chief John Hellmers said thanks to this little girl paying attention during a field trip, tragedy was avoided.

“She saved her grandmothers’ life and saved her own life,” Hellmers said.

 

A GoFundMe account was set up to help Cloe’s family, was displaced because of the fire. You can make donations here.

Iamlakianichole
Blogger extraordinaire
Author/publisher
The chocolate girl with locs
Introvert, Libra, Love the 80s era
Michael Jackson & Kendrick Lamar are Da Baes
Janet Jackson, Jill Scott, Chrisette Michele, and Marsha Ambrosius are my besties in my head
Patti LaBelle is my spiritual auntie
I love to write and make you think!