E-cig explosion kills FL man

Man dies when shards of e-cig lodge in his brain after it exploded

Man dies when shards of e-cig lodge in his brain after it exploded

The mouthpiece of the vape pen was found lodged in D'Elia's brain.

D'Elia, a 38-year-old man from St. Petersburg, Florida, died after his "vape pen" exploded and caused a "projectile wound" in his skull.

According to the report, the pen he used was a "mod" type, or a modified e-cigarette created to be customizable.

Vaping and e-cigarettes is not as safe as most people think.

FEMA recently reported that there were nearly 200 incidents involving exploding vape pens between 2000 and 2016, but D'Elia is the first person in the United States to die as a outcome. The cite also lists safety tips that may help prevent e-cigarette explosions in certain circumstances. "Defective e-cigarette batteries have caused fires and explosions, some of which have resulted in serious injuries", states the site.

A report by the US Fire Administration said more than 195 electronic cigarettes exploded or caught fire between 2009 and 2016.

American clothing brand Gap 'terribly sorry' over China map shirt omitting Taiwan
The fashion retailer has also pulled the product off its shelves in China and destroyed the shirts, a statement on its Weibo read. Other US companies which have issued apologies for similar incidents include Delta Air Lines and Marriott International Inc.

"The combination of an electronic cigarette and a lithium-ion battery is a new and unique hazard", the report [PDF] found.

A Smok-E Mountain representative told ABC affiliate WFTS that it was likely an issue with the product's atomizer or battery, rather than the device itself. No concrete information has been released yet on the actual cause of the device's explosion. The mod pen, distributed by Smok-E Mountain, is manufactured in the Philippines.

However, manufacturers may soon feel the pressure to upgrade their products' safety as lawsuits pile up.

Though such incidents are rare, this isn't the first time a spontaneous e-cigarette explosion has raised concerns.

The health effects related to the ingestion of e-cigarette vapor are still being studied by government agencies. Instead, they sell vape pens with a computer chip inside, which keeps the device from overheating.

Charge it using the charger that came with the vape, not your phone or tablet charger.

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.