The world stopped spinning when we lost Michael Jackson on June 25th, 2009. Many of us who grew up with him and his music wondered how life would go on without him! He was truly the earth’s biggest entertainer. However, he left us with timeless music that will forever bring joy to our hearts and put smiles on our faces. As we celebrate what would have been his 57th birthday on August 29th, I wanted to know some things about MJ that I didn’t know before. Once I discovered these fun facts, I was pleasantly surprised by few and expected the rest <3
1. He had another accomplished singer, Howard Hewitt of Shalamar sing background vocals for “P.Y.T.”
2. “Billie Jean” was allegedly based on one of Michael’s true life events. Back in the late 70s/early 80s, an obsessive fan claimed that he fathered her child.
3. Michael was also gifted as a great drawer
4. The Jacket he wore during this historic performance was from his mother’s closet.
5. “Billie Jean” was the first music video by a black artist to air on MTV.
6. Michael Jackson is The Most-Awarded Artist Of All Time. He won more awards than any other music alive or deceased. He’s received 23 Guinness World Records, 40 Billboard Awards, 13 Grammys, and 26 American Music Awards.
7. Michael Jackson’s love interest in the “Thriller” video, Ola Ray (who Michael discovered as a Playboy Playmate), claimed that she and Michael had a fling while shooting the video. Michael was dating Brooke Shields at the time.
8. His favorite food was Mexican.
9. He had a deep love of children (perhaps because of his lost childhood.) The black armband he wore were to remind people of suffering children around the world.
10. Eddie Van Halen recorded his guitar solo on “Beat It” for free!
11. Michael loved to read! He was once accused by a library of owing $1 million in overdue book fines!
12. Michael’s memorial service was watched by over 2.5 billion viewers worldwide, which would make it the most watched live television broadcast in history worldwide.